Job ID 3673
Job Positions Optometrist
Experience 2 Years
DOL Status: Exempt
Reports to: Practice Administrator
Purpose: Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Examines eyes, using observation, instruments and pharmaceutical agents, to determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities such as glaucoma or color blindness
- Prescribes eyeglasses; fits and adjusts contact lenses and other vision aids
- Analyzes test results and develops a treatment plan
- Prescribes medications to treat eye diseases within the scope of the optometrist license
- Inserts punctal plus and applies bandage contact lenses
- Determines candidacy and appropriate refractive error correction during pre-operative exams for refractive laser surgery (LASIK, PRK, etc.).
- Provides appropriate post-operative care including but not limited to cataract surgery, LASIK, PRK, pterygium excision, etc.
- Consults with and refers patients to ophthalmologist or other health care practitioner if additional medical treatment is determined necessary
- Prescribes therapeutic procedures to correct or conserve vision
- Notifies the on-duty Ophthalmologist of any uncommon ophthalmic/systemic conditions
- Educates and counsels patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors
- Rotating Saturdays required
- Follows applicable policies and procedures and takes precautions to establish a safe work environment
- Maintains strict patient protocols in accordance with practice policies/ HIPAA requirements
- Maintains a high level of professionalism with patients and works to establish a positive rapport
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Education: Doctor or Optometry
- Experience: 1-3 years of Optometry experience required
- Language: Ability to read, write, and communicate in English; Bilingual in Spanish, a plus
- License/Certification: Valid California Optometrist license without restrictions
- Ability to travel between two offices – Lakewood and Los Alamitos – and to work overtime, as needed
- Work is performed in a clinical setting. Ability to stand or walk for extended periods of time with bending, stooping, squatting, sitting, twisting, and reach. Occasional lifting of up to 15lbs.